Kentucky Workers’ Compensation
Our workers’ compensation clients include a broad spectrum of self-insured employers, insurance carriers and third-party claim administrators throughout the Commonwealth of Kentucky. We provide state-wide defense representation through offices in Lexington and Northern Kentucky. Our experience includes:
- Pre-litigation consultation relating to risk management, loss control and liability assessment;
- Settlement negotiations, implementing new and creative approaches in the negotiation and drafting of settlement agreements, including structured settlements, coordination of social security disability awards, coordination of short and long-term disability benefits and general corporate releases;
- Appellate practice, including research and incorporation of national trends and decisions, brief writing and oral arguments before the Kentucky Court of Appeals and Supreme Court of Kentucky (resulting in multiple published opinions);
- Handling of subrogation claims, including complex, multiparty civil litigation, settlement negotiations, coordination and apportionment of benefits and jury trial experience in both state and federal court;
- Having served as special advisor and consultant to the Office of Workers’ Claims and assisting with the drafting of legislative and administrative regulations;
- Acting as special and general counsel handling governmental and administrative relations, including the coordination of lobbying activities before the Kentucky General Assembly and the Labor and Industry Committee;
- Negotiation of third party claims administration contracts;
- Representation of employers, carriers, and third party administrators in Unfair Settlement Claims Practices Act claims and a variety of regulatory/governmental affairs; and
- Coordination of joint defense strategies and planning in ADA, FMLA and Civil Rights claims.
In an effort to keep ourselves and our clients’ current with changes and to remain knowledgeable as to cutting edge trends, we regularly serve as seminar moderators and speakers, both regionally and nationally. We have researched and published numerous texts and articles; and provide legislative and case law updates through our monthly newsletter. We believe this is vital, given the ever-changing workers’ compensation law and rising costs associated therewith.